HOW IT ALL STARTED...
1850
The Methodist Protestants organized a church at Flint Hill
school house before or about 1850. This church is reported to
have been organized by Rev. Alson Grey, who was then a Circuit
Rider of Orange Charge. Afterwards, the church was annexed to
Orange Circuit. The preachers who served this work were: Daniel
Thompson, a local preacher; C. F. Harris, G. E. Hunt, G. A. T.
Whitaker and J. R. Ball
​
1887
About 1887 the decision was made to build a new church
building. Daniel Foust donated 3 3/4 acres of land to the
church for a building site , The new church was built one mile
west of Flint Hill on the Hillsborough and Pittsboro Road, the
location of the present church. Some names suggested for the
church were "Daniel's Chapel" for Daniel Foust, and "Grey's
Chapel" for Rev. Grey. It was named "Orange Chapel" for Orange County. The men in charge of the building hewed out the framing by hand. The Saxapahaw Circuit was organized about the pear 1894 and Orange Chapel was added to it.
1901
In 1901 a new church was built and the following year it was painted.
​
1948
In 1948 Mr. and Mrs. Onslow Thompson donated 1 1/2 acres of land to the church and Mr. and Mrs. Foust Thompson donated an additional 1 55/100 acres.
​
1952
In 1952 the church was taken from the Saxapahaw Charge and put on the Whitney-Cross Charge. Under the pastorate of Rev. C. C. Wiggers the present church was built. In August of that year, the building program started. and a building committee appointed by the church. The pastor and building committee drew up plans which were accepted by the congregation and the Conference. The contract was given to the Ingle Construction Co. of Burlington, N.C.
​
1953
In April 1953 construction was started, while the pastor and the members worked hard to raise money and pay for the church. Suppers, picture plates and memorial plaques were sold, and there were many donations from the members and friends of the church. By September, the building was completed, and the first service was on September 13, 1953.
​
1954
In November 1954, the Duke Endowment gave $3,500.00 which enabled the building to be free of debt. At this time, the building and furnishings were valued at $29,500.00.
​
1955
The Orange Chapel Church was dedicated on September 18, 1955.
​
1968
In 1968 under the pastorate of Rev. Joseph D. Bailey the new educational building was constructed.
​
​
2023
In January 2023, the Orange Chapel Church joined the Global Methodist Church under the pastorate of Pastor Cory Oliver.
​​​
​
​
Ref: Orange-Chapel-UMC-History.pdf​​
